Saturday, March 2, 2019

Thing 6 - Digital Storytelling

I'm fascinated by digital storytelling, I think it would be perfect for my ELL's.  I dove right in, I read the "6 Reasons You Should be doing Digital Storytelling with your Students"; I read "Digit Storytelling in the Primary Classroom" and everything I read suggested that this was a great way for my students to have a voice and a great way to promote writing (writing doesn't have to be pencil and paper, digital is also writing).

I checked out a few tools, and I was disappointed.  The one I picked, Storybird, turned out to be a pay service and I thought it was going to be free (the older version was free, the newer version to use with student accounts required payment).  Then everything I looked at didn't meet my needs.  I wanted to try Make Beliefs Comix, I've used that before to print comic templates, but I found it very unuser friendly when I was navigating it for digital use.

I currently use Book Creator with my students, and I'm navigating Seesaw right now, and I use flipgrid; I like all of those better than everything I saw here.

So I did try Adobe Spark, which I've tried before for a different class, but I looked at it with a digital storytelling lens, and I think I'll give it a try with my students, it's very different from Book Creator (I would have to upload pictures to each individual ipad, very tiresome), and Seesaw is tricky, but I really liked Spark.

So here's my Adobe Spark.  Every Friday we call it "Fri-yay" instead of "Friday", and I was hesitant to play around with language like that with my ELL's, but they totally get it and it's such fun every Fri-yay!

Below you'll find a link to my Book Creator example that I used with my students.  The task was to create a repeated addition book, they had to model the repeated addition sentence, and then do a voice recording of the math problem.  My example is really poor compared to what my students were able to do.  So I recommend Book Creator as a digital storytelling tool.

1 comment:

  1. Book Creator is a great tool. Glad you explored some of the other tools also, you never know which one might hit the sweet spot. Adobe Spark is nice since it's free, but it certainly doesn't have the same book sort of format you were looking for.

    ReplyDelete